
My friend Catherine Sherman who runs a nicely informative blog with an eclectic mix of subjects has decided to run for president of the United States. Like me, she must like to mix things up. Today, I finally decided I was going to throw my two cents in and run for president too. I think I have far better qualifications than most. I have at least foreign if not foreign policy experience since I have lived in and worked in the African nation of Botswana and in Turkey. I have had friends over the years from all the continents except Antarctica. I still haven’t had the good fortune to meet a penguin from the South Pole yet, but I am open to meeting with one.
My platform as candidate for the highest office in the land will be that all Americans will have to become eloquent in written and spoken English in two years. Slang will slowly be eradicated. All Americans will have to become fluent in at least 2 foreign languages in 4 years. All reality, court, and talk shows will be cut from television to be replaced by dramas, mini-series, shows with intelligent humor, and documentaries on historical and international subjects. The news will become news again, not opinion. Reporting will be returned to the international arena, and it will be bye-bye Britney and Brangelina. Television cartoons must be drawn well and have a positive message. All Americans have to learn how to do a craft and an art form. All Americans must spend at least one hour a day reading a good book. Obesity will be eradicated within 5 years. War? Not an option.
My platform as candidate for the highest office in the land will be that all Americans will have to become eloquent in written and spoken English in two years. Slang will slowly be eradicated. All Americans will have to become fluent in at least 2 foreign languages in 4 years. All reality, court, and talk shows will be cut from television to be replaced by dramas, mini-series, shows with intelligent humor, and documentaries on historical and international subjects. The news will become news again, not opinion. Reporting will be returned to the international arena, and it will be bye-bye Britney and Brangelina. Television cartoons must be drawn well and have a positive message. All Americans have to learn how to do a craft and an art form. All Americans must spend at least one hour a day reading a good book. Obesity will be eradicated within 5 years. War? Not an option.
I too will be participating in this reform effort where it applies to me. I will stop wasting time and become completely become fluent in Spanish and Turkish. I will eliminate slang from my speaking. I can already draw, so I will get back into painting again and learn how to knit.
Barack Obama and John McCain may be talking about change, but if I am elected, America ain’t seen nothing yet. :)
Barack Obama and John McCain may be talking about change, but if I am elected, America ain’t seen nothing yet. :)
10 comments:
I will vote for you!!!!..)))
LOL Hans!
I wouldn't be a bit surprised:)))
Sincerae, I support your platform one hundred percent. What a lovely dream. But then, if just a few of us commit to make the possible changes in ourselves, this whole literacy/sanity thing could go viral. Where do I sign up?
Diane L. Harris
http://www.steppingintothelight.net
Hello,
Diane and thanks for commenting. Yes, it is a nice dream. I have a lot of them.
Yes, everything starts within each individual and then it spreads out. I don't see enough of the good starting from within and spreading outwards. Someday...
If I were an American I would vote for you. Have you picked a Vice President yet? I used to be a Soccer Mum but I do not like game hunting, I am against disturbing the delicate environment of Alaska and my daughter is NOT pregnant. Would I qualify?
Ardent,
Yes you would because I do not feel I have to do things in an orthodox way. I would certainly be open to picking a non-citizen as my running mate since America is for the time being the top world power, and really the world citizenry need to have a hand in picking the president. We need some new blood, and a curtailing of all of these teenage pregnancies.
Hi, This is wonderful! You have a great platform. I especially liked that cartoons have to be drawn well....Where are the great cartoons of our childhood? Literacy is definitely essential. I think you will make a great president. Hopefully you will find a spot for me in your cabinet, maybe Secretary of Butterflies and Hummingbirds.
Hi Catherine,
I would certainly include you in my cabinet:))
Sincerae,
I love 'change', and could consider to vote for you, why not:)
Btw, I liked your Turkish. (I found a chance to read a few of your words in other pages) You look like enough fluent, go on, go..
Istanbul'dan en icten sevgilerimle.
Hello Nihal,
I think intellectuals not business people, bankers, and people linked to the military should run this country. Maybe things would be a little better, and we would get out this war mode we have been in since the day I was born.
Notice how McCain and Palin has stolen Obama's favorite word "change?" Seems they don't have any ideas of their own, among other things.
Thanks for your too kind words about my VERY limited Turkish. I have the aptitude to learn languages, but not the discipline to apply myself. I hope that changes.:)
Post a Comment