Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Posting Only Occasionally

Dear Readers,

The last year has been hectic and at times very traumatic. I left Turkey reluctantly after quitting one of those nightmarish employers that I had heard other foreigners in Turkey warn about online and offline. I faced what I thought my own honesty and professionalism would protect me from: promises, broken promises, lies, incompetence, and skimming off of my pay without explanation. My resignation severed me from students that I was close to and my Turkish boyfriend, who has drowned in his own despair about his future and his country.

Even after I came back in March, the ugliness of what it actually meant working for that school came back in glaring detail when I learned that my British friend and colleague who had tried to hang on and work for those people had suffered a heart attack. Though the boss and his wife cared nothing for his welfare, some of my students showed the kind of compassion and concern that I had gotten used to and which never really came from my boss and his wife, the manager. My poor friend and I had been a team, and he was treated even worse than I had. Throughout the summer, he lived alone in a shabby apartment recovering from surgery on his heart.
I learned last week that they have now reneged on their promise to pay for his operation and has reduced his pay
to about $400 a month. My boss and his wife's chief aim was making money at the expense of their students and the teachers. Neither my students nor my boyfriend wanted me to leave. The experience left me tired, struggling not to be bitter, angry, on the brink of despair, but firm like others who have gone there before to never work in Turkey again.

However, the drama and the trauma of the last year has had a positive effect. Not long after Michael Jackson's death I started writing a book. His death and the all that I had gone through beginning on the day I set foot in Izmit, Turkey on October 3, 2008 made it a fertile time to finally go after my dream of trying to become an author. This is a dream I've had since I was 18. I have been encouraged by professors, family members, and friends. I write nearly everyday now, and I watch and ponder with wonder the evolution of me becoming a writer. I keep a notebook too, and whenever a description or a phrase pops up inside my consciousness, I get out my notebook and write it down. I've read of other writers doing this, and now I do. Most of what is written in my notebook are verbal supplies left for my book.

The freelance writing business has also become an area of study for me since the summer too. I am hoping that I can eventually make a steady income from magazine writing. Then maybe I can move back to Turkey or somewhere in the Near East and make a living with my pen without depending on a Turkish boss.

Since I am trying to edge slowly into the writing world, I will spend less and less time here. I'm not going to let my blog completely die out though. There will be occasion posts, but I don't want to specify any days or dates. On up the road I hope to have my blog linked to my own website along with other examples of my writing.

I have set a date for the completion of my book which is an autobiography and stories of my parent's families. I hope to have it completed and maybe edited by February 2011. The book is not an instrument to get fame or big money, but it is an artistic project, a means of therapy, of asking questions, piecing together a puzzle, understanding myself, my family, and humanity. I am going to go after a real publisher. There will be no self publishing for me.

My book is a quest. Yes, I want to be an author who is paid for her work more than anything in the world. I feel I have a lot to say and share. Nevertheless, I don't think like many in this age of quick monetary gain and scrambles for celebrity. I see things in the tradition of the great and good writers before me. Writing is art, and writing is about life. I live to write. I write to live.

My friend in Qatar has asked me, "Do you want to be a famous writer or a good writer?" I told him, "I want to be a good writer. If fame comes, fine." Fame today often does not mean greatness or worthiness in the society that I live in. I don't want to be a part of that community.

If something inspires me or is very special, I will be posting. Keep checking back.

15 comments:

Nomad said...

Good luck with your writing. I certainly think you have the right (write) attitude to begin your work. Thinking of it primarily as an artistic effort rather than a source of fame or wealth will, no doubt, give you much more motivation in the long term. Besides, I believe it will enrich the creative process. (Nothing kills creativity faster than worrying whether something is profit-making or popular!)

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences in Turkey. I have been through my share here as well, but then I had plenty of that sort of thing wherEVER I went. :)

Sincerae said...

Thank for commenting, Nomad.

bwdb said...

I am sorry things went so terribly downhill...But my prayer is this is an opening for even better things to come!

Sincerae said...

Thanks for commenting, CW.

Turkey is indeed a difficult nut to crack. Most foreigners who go don't survive. They throw up their hands and leave. I gave Turkey my best shot, six times there. It's a shame because some of the students are really serious about learning English. Many aren't.

It has to be up to the owners of these schools to decide to run to run them ethically and in a business like manner. Until they do, it will remain a merry-go-round of losing good teachers and only attracting the worst or no one at all.

Nomad said...

One of the major problems in Turkey is the enforcement of laws. The whole legal system is there to protect the state, not the individual. There are historical reasons for this. In the end, the managers - most businessmen, for that matter- know that they can get away with almost anything without fear of legal punishment. How many times did I hear my first school manager say (with a snort and chuckle) "a contract? it is just a piece of paper."
And it can be especially bad for foreigners because they would have even less individual rights than the average citizen.
It may be strange to hear, but it used to be even worse with school managers. Oh the stories!

Karakelebek731 said...

It is most unfortunate that I am so late learning about your blog and your experiences in Turkey. Did you have a chance to visit Konya during your time here?

Sincerae said...

Nomad,

Thank for commenting again. There are no laws. Every school I worked for basically violated every copyright law in the book. My final school was more abysmal than the rest. There were no books for the TOEFL students, etc. The fact that so many Turkish students continue to patronize these "schools" only adds to the problems and these managers and owners sense that they can get away with anything. I even had students complain to me about their treatment before I left. I was sympathetic, but what could I do I told them since I only worked there. I'm just so glad my friend got out. He really suffered, and throughout the summer when he was there alone and recovering from a heart attack, I just felt so angry and helpless.

KaraKelebek,

When I saw your blog a few months ago, I was so excited. I really wished I could have worked there on a scholarship like you're doing instead of trying to make these schools work for me. I learned a lot though. No, I have only traveled in the western part of Turkey. However, is it a small world since one of my old university professors, Coleman Barks, is the foremost translators in English of Mevlana Rumi, as you probably know. He taught me creative writing, and still lives here in my hometown. Some day I would like to come back to Turkey, but only as a tourist and to visit friends.

Anonymous said...

Sincerae, You are one of the biggest treasures I've found. I'm glad you will be continuing to write. I can't wait to read your book! I'm sorry Turkey was so difficult, but I can see that you still really love the people and the country. You know how to find and appreciate the good.

I've always wanted to write a book, too, but have never gotten very far. I'm going to focus on writing that book this coming year, which will mean being more disciplined than I usually am. I'll still post on my blog and write a few stories for the newspaper and some charity newsletters.

I'll keep checking back here and I always enjoy reading what you post elsewhere.

Sincerae said...

Cathy,

Thanks for commenting. I wish I had my old template back. The second one back. I want to change to one that doesn't cut off parts of the paragraph. Anyway...

Thanks for the kind words. In the last year when I did write I really didn't follow anyone's blog regularly, so unfortunately I didn't see that you had slowed down with yours. I rarely commented anywhere too. I got more into Facebook and then Twitter back in the summer. In a way that's good, the microblogging, because it left over time for writing my book. I find that I'm more eloquent and literary on paper than I am with my blog.

I like to write longhand on paper like one of my heroes, Maya Angelou. She always writes longhand on yellow legal pads. For me the thoughts flow better with my pen on paper. It's different with every writer as I'm sure you know. For some the computer, for others paper.

I wish you much luck with your book too. I hope to read yours as well. Just keep plucking away with the writing.

By the way, Emma Alvarez has now expanded her blog into a website: http://www.emmaalvarez.com/
Something that I would like to do as I said in the post if I can get off the ground with freelance writing.

Don't worry so much about the laziness, but be too nonchalant about it either. Just about every writer goes through it in the beginning. You have to work your way up to writing everyday. Some days one page will come. Others almost 10. After the other important things I have to do, I try to make writing my second most important thing. I try not to be online for too long. Sometimes I fail though, but I have limited wireless broadband, so that stops me from being on here too much.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jessica said...

Sincerae, merry christmas
hi, ur blog is good & i think you have spend a lot of efforts to make it eyecatching and interesting, it will scale new hieghts if u choose blogerzoom.com for advertising and marketing.They are offering very unique features with cheap prices. the team of blogerzoom will promote ur blog through all over the network , all u have to do is pay more or less and rest leave it to blogerzoom advertising team to promote ur blog in every network. and see how u enjoy a lot while blogging. bcoz no will provide this kind of platform to the bloggers.

Anonymous said...

Sincerae , this is Greg , the callan method instructor in istanbul , Ocotber 2008 if you remember :-) . i take a look at your blog every now and again and i enjoy reading your verbally advantaged language .keep it up :-)

Sincerae said...

Hi Greg, I remember you! Thanks for looking at my blog. The woman who was with me was fired fairly early. I quit after nearly six months. I've started a new blog, and I'm working on a freelance writing career and also writing a book. Are you still in Istanbul? I hope to come back. I will provide the link to my new blog in a later post. Great to hear from you! You still have the link:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sincerae , I had to cut short my life in turkey . I left Istanbul last June after having to deal with a row of troubles mainly caused by my employer . he ended up to be an unscrupulous man whose main job was to take advantage of people , teachers and students. He kept delaying paying the teachers and one day we found out he’s vanished.
Anyway , I went to Syria and traveled around for 2 weeks visiting the dusty heritage before I came back to Iran . I am in Tehran now and I have been here now for a couple of months living together with my mom . I translate documents for a company to make a living but it’s difficult …

Keep in touch

Sincerae said...

Hi Greg,
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know about the unscrupulous employer thing especially this time. All the other times in Turkey I was paid exactly as promised. In fact, there was not contract this time, which I should have noticed:) In Turkey, sometimes even the contract doesn't always matter though. Another mistake I made was not to have taken a job I was offered by one of the new "universities" in Istanbul, Aydin University on the western side of the city. I actually went for the interview and signed the contract, but I stayed on in Izmit because at the time I had a high regard for my employer, liked my students, and getting my things to Istanbul was going to be difficult on my own.

Could you send me your e-mail address through the Gmail address on this blog? I will keep in touch. I had hoped that some day I would be maybe able to visit Iran. It's a lovely country. I have Iranian friends who've said I'd be OK, but since all the unrest that started that might not happen. I hope you and your mother are OK. Take care:)