Sunday, March 30, 2008

Paris Does Turkey: Or I Wish She Hadn’t



When I saw the headline "Paris Does Turkey" on CNN Friday, I was praying that it was the bird not the country. The entertainment news commentators went on to speculate that maybe Paris would take up residence in Turkey since they have had a enough of her and her meaningless antics over here. The comment was even made that the Turks might like her to stay. No comment here. Also Paris just had to make the comment to Turkish reporters that she is delighted to be seen as a role model for young girls. Wonder what the Turks thought of that? The last complication needed in Turkish life is Paris Hilton, but on a more positive note she certainly provided a respite from the more serious issues of life there.

However, everyone including Americans needs a break from our tendency toward bad taste and very low culture. But I guess some people like what we have to offer since some belly dancer in Istanbul, Turkey apparently does. This belly dancer or oriental dancer as the Turks say, invited Paris Hilton to perform with her onstage at the Miss Turkey beauty pageant. The performance can be seen in the video clip. Paris had already been invited by some unknown person to be a judge.

Well, times are a-changing because celebrities once became famous b
ecause they had talent. Looking at the Turkish bellydancer with Paris one has to also lament too that belly
dancers once had to be relatively voluptuous and exotic looking. Nowadays, it guess the best we can expect to get even in Turkey is “bone dancing” not belly dancing.

But maybe I am just being a party pooper.

Paris was also given the honor to crown Leyla Lydia Tugutlu Miss Turkey 2008.

2 comments:

Ardent said...

I read a comment saying that while in Turkey she stayed at the HILTON HO-tel.
:)

Sincerae said...

Ha! I love your pun, Ardent:))))