Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Finale


Painting by Theodore Gericault.
I always find it so surprising and frustrating when I have to deal with people who cannot make decisions. Making decisions are always fairly easy for me, so I have a tendency to expect all people to be able to make sound decisions in a reasonable amount of time. I made a decision last week which a week previous I could not imagine I would have.

Sometimes we think we cannot live without certain things. We sometimes make that which is quite trivial into something of mountainous importance. Then when we step back we begin to see that which we put so much value on and time in can be lived without for a time, season, or even forever. The decision I made last week was to put this blog on hiatus, permanently. My life is in transition. I even took a personality test the other day that said so.
Three years ago I did not even know the definition of a blog or weblog. I kept hearing the term on CNN. Moving from there I Googled it, and then after happening upon the blog Baghdad Burning, I decided to start my own since my family was in the midst of a crisis period. Both my uncle and my grandmother were dying. I did not write regularly in that blog which was on MSN until 2007. Later in one of my overly temperamental moments, I deleted it and the first blog I started on Blogger. Strangely, I did not feel any regret. In February, my blogs were hacked and deleted. I really suffered when that happened, and debated whether to ever return to the blogger community. I returned and since then I have had two published writers comment here and two published writers add me as their friend on Blog Catalog and one of them added me as a Facebook friend. I think one of the most noble of professions is to be a writer. Words can have the power to heal or to hurt. Words can change an individual or a nation for better or for worst. I have to constantly remind myself to use them carefully, and I have so much gnawing guilt when I do not.

I have been advised to maybe post here once a month, to not just jettison this blog and my others, but the time has come when I know this phrase of my life has past. My regular writing is not over since I will probably go back to the traditional private journal, but my life as a blogger here has to end. Life should never be stagnant. I could have continued here since I had a lot of ideas, but I just knew heading into the sunset was the right thing to do for a number of reasons. I have to devote my attention to a number of things and wait for new possible chapters in my life. I want to learn how to play that guitar I bought at Christmas time two years ago, etc.

In moving toward the end here, I wanted to mention last Friday when I went to a party given by a friend I made last year at the public library’s annual foreign affairs discussion group. Her name is Ruthie, and her husband Howard is a retired diplomat. They spent a number of years in Africa and they also have an interest in the Middle East and Turkey. Their religion, like mine, originated in the Middle East, Persia (Iran), in fact. They are Baha’is. The founder of their religion,
Baha’u’llah, was actually sent into exile from Persia to Istanbul and then on to Edirne where someone I love very much lives. Last Friday was a special day for the Baha’i religion. I was a little reluctant to go to the party at first, but I am glad I did because no one tried to convert me. It was just a friendly gathering of an eclectic group of people who were mostly in their 50s and 60s. At 46, I was one of the youngest, but there was one even younger than me. I didn’t get his name, but he is a student from Iran who is also a Baha’i. He attends The University of Georgia. Ruthie’s husband Howard told us that in Iran, Baha’is are so oppressed that they are not allowed to go to school. The Iranian Baha’is have beaten the system and have created underground schools and universities.

I love Ruthie and Howard’s home. It is like a museum of their travel experiences with hand-woven baskets, statues, and elephant tusks from Africa, paintings from China, and ceramics and porcelains from Iran.

Two remarkable women gravitated towards me at Ruthie’s. One is named Nasrin, and she is Baha’i and also from Iran. She is a retired nurse who was born in the city of
Shiraz in southern Iran. She is the third Iranian I have met, and like the other two, I really like her. She is warm and lively. Throughout most of the evening she sat very close to me, reminding me of the camaraderie I have had with some of my Turkish female friends in the past. After learning about my interest in Turkey, Iran and the Middle East in general, she insisted that I visit her and see a wonderful book she has with photos of places all over Iran. I told her about my interest in perhaps visiting Iran one day. Though she cannot go back to her native land because as she bluntly put it, “They’d kill me,” she encouraged me to go because just like my friend Lee (Ali) told me once, she said that since I'm brown they would have no problem with you.
Lee is an Iranian-American who taught English as a second language at a school with me in Istanbul last year. He is also an artist. His website can be seen here. When I e-mailed him back in March or early April, he told me that he was still hanging out in Istanbul mostly painting. I thought he had accepted a job he told me he was to be interviewed for in Nashville. Both Lee and I are wanderers. We keep searching and trying to find our place. Searching is hard, but it is never boring. When Lee wrote me, he said that some of his work was going to be in an exhibition in Istanbul and that he also was going to have to attend another exhibition of his work in Germany. Lee is a great guy, and I think it is good that he has the courage and determination to pursue his passion despite the poverty and hardship he may have to face sometimes. As for myself, I am moving more towards what my purpose is in life and the pursuit of the passion portion (writing, the arts, and helping people) is steadily evolving.

Getting back to Nasrin, I am glad a climate is slowly evolving in America where “race” is being spoken of in a positive way. America is never very stagnant like a lot of places. We slowly but surely start learning from our mistakes, one way or the other. We don’t waste a lot of time blaming others for their and our own shortcomings. I think the fact that Barack Obama has done so well is because we always see at various times a need for his favorite word, “Change.”
Well, Nasrin just blurted out when I asked her if I would have any problems traveling to Iran because I am a single woman, “No, they like black people there.” She was not afraid to say this even though most of Ruthie’s guests were white. Many were Baha’is, and the color of one’s skin is not a problem with Baha’is. I think that mature and reasonable people can face up to the issues of their country’s past and present and their own personal issues past and present and will strive to solve them.

The second remarkable person at Ruthie’s get together was a lady named Judy. Judy is of Norwegian descent and is from Minnesota. Her passion is singing and opera, and boy did she burst out in song for us. She sang several arias after Howard made a comment about the late Luciano Pavarotti. She later ended with a lovely rendition of Danny Boy which while listening, I could almost just feel elements of the Emerald Isle flowing from her words. Here is a video I just found of Danny Boy.





Co-incidentally Barack Obama may have Irish roots too. See the second video and the one below it called O’bama Boy which I think is very cute.








I went to Ruthie’s party feeling down, but I left feeling warm and wonderful. I had hesitated to go because I felt so burdened Friday evening, but like one gentleman named George said to me, “It’s a good thing you came and got out of yourself.” I certainly did not expect or want to be the center of attention, but Nasrin, Judy, and I were at the center. People wanted to hear about my recent life experiences. In the end, Nasrin, Judy, and I exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses. When learning that I write, Nasrin said she would like for us to write together. Judy not only sings opera, but she is also the head of the Athens chapter of the

National League of Pen Women . She is interested in me coming to their next meeting which will be sometime later this year. I had even more to feel better about when I got home Friday night. I heard from the person I love very much who lives in the Turkish city of Edirne near the Greek and Bulgarian border.

So with my life transitioning, I have to think about the things that matter. Blogging was not so much a hobby for me. I was an English major, but I went through a multitude of years where I rarely wrote, but the passion to write was always dormant. Blogging stimulated me to write regularly and make it a habit. I did not start blogging to make friends or to get attention because I doubted that I would get any. The few quality friends and attention I have gotten happened completely by accident. What I have enjoyed most about blogging is seeing my quickly thought out offerings online where some reader or blogger might happen upon it.

My life is moving into a new dimension now. I have been encouraged to not stop blogging completely, but here and on my Saddam Hussein blog, I have no plans to post again. I have decided that I will continue with my Christian blog and develop it to a higher and more useful level for Christians and other non-Christians who might be interested.

Blogging is a powerful medium with great potential for those who do it wisely. The first blogs I encountered I found only through Google. Later I encountered some of the better laid out and more positive blogs through Blog Catalog. I think a lot of bloggers believe their blogs are just harmless hobbies, but what you blog about and the nature and audience of your blog tells a lot about the kind of person you are. Yes, the internet may be anonymous to a degree, but think about if you are presenting a negative, vulgar, depressing, angry, raging, confused, raunchy image of yourself. Blogs can say a lot, so be careful. Also if you blog, make your blog a welcoming place. Respond to the people who comment there with at least a “Thank You” on a regular basis. Also I found this little piece of advice I would like to share called
Blogging Without Obligation.

So in closing I leave some blogs worthy of attention.
Note this positive post from When Least Expected. Manchild who writes this blog lives in Atlanta and is an author along side with other talents.
Sharon is a Nigerian blogger who writes uplifting posts for Christians and non-Christians alike. Read this short post: In Need of Encouragement from her blog Reservoir.
The Blog Stops Here. This is the finale of A Very Fine Romance Redux.
Take care and do what you can in your little space on the planet to make the world a better place.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this post on Baha'i Views and link.

I love your descripton of the Baha'i gathering and your own reflections.

Sincerae said...

Hello George,
Thanks for your kind words. Of course, you may take a portion of this post as an excerpt.

Miss Shirl said...

Wow! I'm honored! Thank You for the mention. The second time today I've been rendered speechless.

Sincerae said...

My pleasure, SSB. Our initials are nearly the same. Mine are SBS:)

Miss Shirl said...

irony. :)

Ardent said...

Sincerae, reading this finale made my heart sink. Not for you but for me. My heart sank because I will not be able to read your positive, inquisitive and joyous views and observations.

I have your email and I will continue to keep in contact. Like you I did not enter blogging to make friendships but I have made friends with some extraordinary people, one of whom is you.

I totally respect your decision and wish you well on the Life Journey that awaits you.

I hope that your relationship with your special other in Turkey will continue to grow.

You are a very special person Sincerae and I wish you lots of joy and prosperity with all your life’s endeavors.

With deepest respect,

Anonymous said...

Thanks you Sincerae for the mention... I feel privileged.

Sincerae said...

Ardent,
I'll still be around on my Christian blog. It won't bite. You can read and comment there:)

Yes, we will keep in touch. I may be going back to Turkey in the fall once he and I can settle some things. I have promised him I won't get mad at him and not stop communicating for months at a time. We have a lot of obstacles, but if I go back and stay this time, maybe we can work them out. My aunt was saying tonight that she felt I kept leaving Turkey too soon. I am slowing learning to be patient, so that will help in a lot of things.

Of course, we'll keep in touch by e-mail, and I will still find time to comment on your blog:)

Sincerae said...

Sharon,
Your words made my day. I have a lot of admiration for your blog:)

Anonymous said...

great post! i enjoy reading your blog! keep it up!

Sincerae said...

Anson,
Thank you!
Eventually I may start back up in a few months. I have to see how life treats me:)

bint battuta said...

Goodness, this has come as quite a shock, especially as I feel we've just 'met'! I do hope you reconsider eventually...

Sincerae said...

Hello Bint Battuta,
Thanks for leaving a comment here. I may reconsider by the fall or winter and come back by popular demand:))))

Anonymous said...

Dear Sincerae,
A pity..(((
Will read your other blog tough, not comment, as I don't comment on religious isues..))
If you come to Turkey, lets meet!
We are moving to Tarabya, not Kemerburgaz..so we will have enough space....
Only we never know if I or Ozlem is travelling.
KIndest
hans

Sincerae said...

Hi Hans,
I am just being overwhelmed by personal and professional matters at this point.

Yes, I was hoping I was thinking of coming to Turkey in the next couple of weeks if my friend David (did you ever meet him?) gave me a place to stay. I really hate to come there in the summer heat, but I might because I need to see someone, and I have promised that I would try to come. So who knows?

Anonymous said...

For some reason this post made me feel sad - although i've only recently starting visiting this blog. It's a refreshing positive read!

Goodluck getting on - i wish i could do just that too. Maybe someday you'll post a video of you playing the guitar :)

Will be looking forward to the occational post.

Sincerae said...

Hello May,
I WILL be posting occasionally at the very least once a month, maximum 4 times a month:)