Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Possible Romance of Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon






No, my blog is not being lowered in caliber. This is not a prelude to less refined offerings. My next post promises to be on a refined subject once again.

This post does deal with Romance, however. I wanted to comment on Mariah’s Carey’s recent marriage to Nick Cannon because she was one of the last American singers whom I loved and whose work I avidly patronized as a purchaser.
Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon

Mariah and I sort of grew up together. She came on the scene when I was finishing up graduate school. One day I and a few others heard her singing her first hit Vision of Love over the intercom system of the big pharmacy where we worked and mistook her for Whitney Houston. I was a slight fan of Houston, but I never developed devotion for her like I later did for Mariah. Mariah’s voice had a beauty, a kind of soft romanticism that Whitney Houston’s lacked. I had grown up with and passed all the screaming notes of Chaka Khan whom I had loved in middle school. Houston just screamed a little bit too much at times for my matured tastes. I look back, and I think Chaka Khan’s exotic name may have appealed to me more than her singing. Still two of my all time favorite songs of her’s were Sweet Thing and Through the Fire. To my ear, Mariah’s voice bore a resemblance to Whitney Houston’s and she was also influenced by gospel music, one of her favorite singers being Aretha Franklin who happened to be Whitney Houston’s godmother. Nonetheless, I loved more restrained and less earthy sounding R&B. Mariah Carey’s songs spoke to me at that time in my life of my own longings for love.

Like some Elvis fans did when he changed his style in the early 70s, I dropped my devotion for Mariah Carey when she changed not so much her style, but changed whom she was allowing to back up her singing. Where was she getting all of these obscure rappers and an occasional obnoxious well unknown like Snoop Dog? I felt the only reason she was cluttering up her sound was to grab the attention of a new generation. What about we “old folks” whose purchases helped her to be the first artist to top Billboard’s Hot 100 list 5 times? I only listened to her album 2005 The Emancipation of Mimi once before I got rid of it. I have all of her albums prior to Emancipation. Yes she was emancipated all right, on to the fickle teen and 20 something set. I was disappointed and bewildered even more when the album was a hit even though I doubted if the younger crowd even knew that Mariah was over 30, geriatric by their standards for singers and other entertainers.

Even though I felt betrayed and left behind in the dust by Mariah Carey, I am very happy for her about her marriage last week to rapper and actor Nick Cannon. I have thought Nick Cannon was a cutie pie since I first glimpsed him, and he is funny to boot. Mostly I have seen him in passing, but even in passing I thought he rather resembled a cousin of mine who is about his age.

Mariah Carey has had a stormy personal life. She wed music mogul
Tommy Mottola in 1993. Mottola was 20 years her senior and some say and Mariah has hinted as well that he was her Svengali. She has dated baseball player Derek Jeter and Latin crooner Luis Miguel. She herself is of Irish, African-American, and Venezuelan parentage. When photos of her were published after Vision of Love was a hit, some in the African-American community wrote her off as “just another white girl trying to sing black.” Mariah went on to counter this and explained her heritage. I was intrigued.

Now Mariah might have some explaining to do about this marriage, but not to me. I support her wholeheartedly in her quest for love. I hope the arguments of some do not break her spirit and ruin a possibly good thing.

Arguments I have heard in the media:

(1) The marriage is a publicity stunt.
(2) I hope she signed a good pre-nup.
(3) I am scared for her because she apparently did not sign a pre-nup. She just scribbled something on a napkin.
(4) Nick Cannon will benefit more from this marriage than she does.
(5) There is an 11 year age difference. (Cannon is 27, and Mariah is 38.)
(6) The marriage was too quick.

Arguments for:
(1) Nick Cannon is not exactly poor.
(2) Nick Cannon is a good actor in his own right.

Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon met when he was directing a video for a song on her latest album E=MC2. Cannon is said to be something of a romantic by friends and family because of his always “falling in love.”

I really hope this is not temporary. I think Mariah may have been alone for quite some time. Nick Cannon has shown himself to be an aesthete where beautiful women are concerned. He has dated exotics like
Selita Ebanks who is a Victoria’s Secret model from the Cayman Islands, R&B and pop singer Christina Milian who is of Afro-Cuban descent, and socialite of Armenian extraction Kim Kardashian whose father, the late Robert Kardashian was an attorney on O.J. Simpsons’s dream team. Ebanks and Cannon were briefly engaged. Kim Kardashian currently makes appearances on the reality TV show Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Carey and Cannon were married at her estate in the Bahamas last week.

I support you Mariah. I don’t relish your music anymore, but I supported you when your movie debut Glitter was savaged by the media and the critics and had the terrible misfortune to premiere on September 11, 2001. I thought the movie was touching, and even today I have it on video.


It is said the couple is very happy, Mariah is blissful, and that they feel they have much in common. I hope the cynics will hold their tongues and try to develop a less cynical, less critical, and more Romantic spirit.


The video at the top of the post is "old school" Mariah, as the youngsters would say.

5 comments:

Ardent said...

An interesting read Sincerae. Although I am not a fan of Mariah, some of her music is nice to listen to.

As for Nick Cannon, he is very cute but I have not heard of him. He is not a celebrity in Australia.

Will the marriage survive? I hope so, but with the 11 year age difference, I will say probably not.

I have a girlfriend who was once married to a man who was 15 years her junior. The relationship fizzled and she was left devastated. Also not only did the age difference show but the maturity levels were also quite obvious.

But as for Mariah, I hope it lasts.

Sincerae said...

Ardent,

I hope Mariah can stay in this marriage for her own sake too. I remember her collapse a few years ago after she broke up with Luis Miguel. She attributed the collapse to overwork, but I think she went down hill because of the breakdown.

Nick Cannon has not been on the entertainment scene long, but the times I have seen him, he was very funny and has a sort of clever edge to him. Though he is a rapper, he does not act so crudely "ghetto" like some of the others do. I just hope he is mature though I've noticed that Mariah seens to have a young spirit or either that spirit is just a mid-life crisis. I hope this is not the case.

As for couples who have big gaps in age, remember this Chinese couple I wrote about in my old blog?

http://www.asianoffbeat.com/default.asp?Display=1278

Maturity is certainly important I think in cases where the woman is older probably more so than with older men and younger women. We do have Demi Moore who is 16 years older than her husband Ashton Kutcher. They seem to be hanging in there, and Demi's ex-husband Bruce Willis has often expressed a liking for Kutcher.

My boyfriend is 10 years younger than I and Turkish. It has been more rocky for us because of the distance and misunderstandings because of cultural differences more than the age. He is more silent and serious than I am, which works out fine. I have tested him a lot in the last two years by repeatedly breaking up with him. I have said some pretty rough things at times, and still he comes back. The thing is I do not want to live in Turkey, and he does because he has to take care of his mother who is in poor health and he has a loyalty to Turkey. He knows Turkey. I have told him that there are better opportunities here if they would let him in, but he does not seem very interested in living over here. I have talked to him about our age difference, difference in religion, and our differences in educational level. He does not mind, he says. He just likes it, he says, that I am a good person, has a good family, and is in the education field like his parents were. His family lost everything when his dad died years ago. It put his life on hold similar to the story you told about your father. My boyfriend does not look very "Turkish" too like your dad did not. His grandparents came from Greece and Bulgaria, so he looks more Slavic than Turkic. When I first saw him, I thought, 'This man does not look Turkish. Look at his reddish-brown hair and blue-gray eyes."

He wants my family to know more about him, so he sends photos for them to see and wants to come here to meet my parents, but that is not possible because he like many Turks are having incredible financial difficulty. I was reading that Mildred Loving said her husband expressed that he just wanted to take care of her. My boyfriend expresses the same thing. Now also, when I say I think it is going to be too difficult for us and maybe we should just give up, he refuses to let go. He will start "spamming" me until I tell him OK, there will be no break up.

I don't like to talk about him a round a lot of people because of the skeptics. I did not give him a lot of reasons to believe I was interested in him for a long time. He would sometimes say I did not want a man. I did not want to be hurt. He just wrote me last week that he hopes he can improve on his English because some day he wants to come here and have a long nice conversation with my mom. He likes her a lot and has never met her except through the webcam and only in photos I have shown him when I was in Turkey.

So time will tell. I am beginning to think that distance does make the heart grow fonder. I am used to disappointment. Still I believe deep down that God meant that we be together. I know a lot of people will say, "Uh-oh" about this. A lot of guys would have not accepted some of the things I have said to him. We have both tested each other a lot.

Sincerae said...

Also speaking of Napoleon and Josephine who is above, there was a 6 year age difference with Josephine being the older.

The marriage survived unfaithfulness on both their parts. In the end, Napoleon reluctantly divorced Josephine because he needed an heir to continue the Napoleonic line. One of the last words he said on his deathbed was "Josephine." She had died some years before him.

Ardent said...

Sincerae, I sincerely hope that both you and your boyfriend can work things out.

He sounds like an honest person. Perhaps you should of stayed in Turkey a while longer to give the relationship a better chance.

Hoping that you can communicate any differences that you may have.
:)

Sincerae said...

Ardent,

I hope to go back there next spring or maybe before to at least visit and see him and we talk over some things. I also would like to just spend a week or two there stress free to tour all of the historical places and museums I haven't seen yet in Istanbul. So if the political situation over there does not deteriorate, this is my hope.