Tuesday, August 12, 2008

R.I.P. Isaac Hayes


He’s a complicated man but no one understands him but his woman…
(Lyrics from the theme song Shaft)

Isaac Hayes was the purveyor of “Hot Buttered” soul and funk music in the 1970s. He died on Sunday at age 65. Hayes was a renaissance man of sorts in the music and entertainment worlds. He won an Academy Award and three Grammys for his music. He is best known for his theme song from the blaxploitation film Shaft. Fans of the latter day comedy show South Park are familiar with Isaac Hayes’ contribution to the program as the voice of the character "Chef."

Isaac Hayes was the talk of the town in the black community here in the US when I was a child because of his smooth voice and lyrics in the soundtrack for the movie Shaft, and also because of his confidence, talent, and uniqueness. One of my father’s employees had the album for Shaft at the time when the movie’s theme song was a hit. Dad borrowed it from him, and quite a number of evenings afterwards we would listen to Hayes’ deep, mellow voice singing about the exploits of John Shaft. For some reason I came to like Hayes' attempt at disco in the over eight minute long
Groove-a-thon better than his Shaft’s theme.

Isaac Hayes hit highs and lows in his career, even declaring bankruptcy. Still he hung around and never allowed himself to be completely shut out of the entertainment industry. I always rather liked him. When he arrived on the scene, he and
Yul Brynner were the only glamorously unique bald men I and the rest of the public knew of at the time. I admired both of them for their confidence, daring, charisma, and sexiness as bald men.

The following is The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain performing their own rendition of Isaac Hayes’ best known work, Shaft. Please take a look. They are surprisingly good.
Rest in Peace the coolest of the cool and the smoothest of the smooth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Blog!!! Keep it up!!! You are really adding value to the field of art.

Love and Peace,

Abhijeet Rajwade

Sincerae said...

Abhijeet,

Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words. Please come again:)

Ardent said...

I was very saddened to hear the passing of Isaac Hayes.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain performed a marvelous rendition of Shaft.

Also, I agree with Abhijeet.
:)

Sincerae said...

Hello Ardent!

Well, I was getting a little concerned. I hoped you hadn't joined Mr. Hayes. I was thinking about e-mailing you to see if you were alright. But I figured you were busy.

I've been rediscovering and discovering some of Isaac Hayes' music this week. The man was an innovator to say the least. He will be missed.

And thanks always for your kind words:)