Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Quick Comment

My attention is always being grabbed by something. That is good because it shows that curiosity still lives in me, but so much curiosity can overload the mind. My mom used to read some of the Curious George books to me when I was little because she feel I was just like George, always curious and into something.

This is a big world, and there is so much about the good and bad than can be learned in it. I always pity people who stop learning and broadening their horizons. I guess I am this way because I was educated to be a teacher.

Learning about new issues and causes is good. Since I was born in the 60s, I heard so much about causes when I was in my developmental stage: The Civil Rights Movement, The Anti-War (Vietnam) Movement, The Women’s Movement. My teeth were cut on these things, and so when I got old enough to I was heavily into volunteering during my university years and awhile afterwards.

Ellen R. Sheeley is an author who is into the cause of bringing to the public eye the crime of honor killing. Like me she is fascinated by the Middle East and Arabic and Islamic cultures. She has lived in the Middle East. (
The closest I got to the Middle East were my times in Turkey. There is so much confusion about Turkey, that it is sometimes listed as in the Middle East instead of in Europe and Asia. Many Turks would not be amused by this because they want as less to do as possible with the predominately Arab Middle East. I have had a number of them tell me in a rather annoyed tone, "Most Americans think we are Arabs." No, Turks are something completely different. Originally from somewhere in Central Asia, like our Turkish tour guide said to us in May 2003, "We Turks are a mixed race.")

Ms. Sheeley commented on my old blog when I wrote about honor killings, and today she has again on the post below. She has a very informative website and blog that I want to share here. It is called Red Room. I have also added her site to my new list Websites of Authors that have Commented on my Blog(s). I feel very honored that two ladies that have had books published took the time to comment here.


Have a great rest of the week:)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sincerae, wow! Thank you! What a nice surprise!

You are right about the "who's Arab?, who's Muslim?, aren't all Muslims Arab?, aren't all Arabs Muslim?" confusion.

As you correctly state, most but not all Turks are Muslim. Most but all Arabs are also Muslim. But not all Muslims are Arab (e.g., the Azeris, the Kazaks, the Pakistanis, the Turks, the Indonesians, the Malaysians). And there are Christians in the Arab world, as they have been for centuries.

I once worked in Azerbaijan. The Azeris are Turkic people. Having been taught a few Azeri courtesies by my interpreter, I was very pleased to learn they were comprehensible to Turks.

Keep up the nice work in blogging about these issues. I have enjoyed reading your site.

Ellen R. Sheeley, Author
"Reclaiming Honor in Jordan"

Karen Tintori said...

Sincerae,

I love your new blog. Just love it.

I haven't read Nile, but intend to now.

Ofra Haza was a great talent, and her early death from AIDS was so tragic. I haven't played her tapes in years, and recently came across her music on YouTube while I was looking for versions of "When You Believe," which our Sisterhood choir sang a dozen years ago.

I stumbled upon Daw Da Hiya, played it, and had a "duh" moment. I'd totally forgotten about this song and that it had to do with honor killings. I'm going to add it to the YouTube videos on my MySpace page.

So, while I was here, I read the new blog top to bottom, and send my best to you.

Got a kick out of the very smart saying, "I can do bad by myself."

And that got me to thinking about all the good you are doing with your blog.

Blessings.

Karen Tintori, author
Unto the Daughters: The Legacy of an Honor Killing in a Sicilian-American Family
www.karentintori.com

Gauri Gharpure said...

Honour killings certainly shock those who have a balanced way of seeing life, love and religion...liked your blog (this is the first time I am here.. but will be back for more.) Regards..

Sincerae said...

Ellen,

I actually became familiar with the Azeri Turks through a novel entitled Ali and Nino by Kurban Said which is the pseudonym for an Azeri Jew named Lev Nussimbaum. Nussimbaum actually converted to Islam after beginning an odyssey which early stages took him to Istanbul. Though he died during WWII, his books are highly relevent today.

I also had an Azeri student briefly while living in Istanbul. One of the managers at our school was from Turkmenistan. I met another other Turkman and an Uzbeki while there through my teaching.

Yes, the Turkic world is huge and though predominately Muslim, some are also Christian. I have been reading for some time about the Assyro-Chaldean Christians in Iraq for sometime and the devastation their community has suffered since the war there. I am sure you know about all of this. Just letting you know that I probably don't know half of what you know because of my limited experiences and reading, but I am interested and learn when I can:) Thanks for commenting here again.

Karen,
I have several Ofra Haza tapes, and actually she was one of the first singers that introduced me get into Middle Eastern pop. I read that she was even able to bridge over into some of the Arab world with her songs. I was horrified and sadden when I learned through Wikipedia about a year ago that she had died apparently of AIDS.

The novel Nile is a must read. Laurie Devine went to Egypt to do heavy duty research for this novel which deals not only with honor killings, but female circumcision, terrorism, and how war, ethnicity, and politics can tear two people apart who were truly meant for each other. Nile may be hard to purchase through Amazon, but you can certainly get it through Alibris.com. I did.

I saw the Wikipedia entry for you yesterday:))

I plan to buy your book about the honor killing that happened in your family.

Blessings to you too:)

Gauri,
I don't think a lot of post modern life is very balanced anywhere, but some places have the misfortune and or poor guidance of leader to really go down the tube.

Thanks so much for commenting here. I will be commenting on your blog too. Come again:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sincerea, these are not 'quick comments' anymore..)))
Kindest
hans

Sincerae said...

Hi Hans,
My comment was quick because I came home and was happily inspired to write this post quickly before I had to leave for an appointment at my other job. Also I write too quickly all the time as my poor editing shows often enough. Still I see what you mean, and I remember your past comment about not always writing long posts:))

Anonymous said...

Waw, writers commenting on your blog! Well, you deserve it :) I'll check out the link!

Kind regards,

Sincerae said...

Basje,
I would not be telling the truth if I said I was not overly surprised and delighted that Ellen and Karen have commented here. I plan to get their books, and hopefully can read them if I start managing my time better.

I think the most admirable profession is writing because I love books and have wanted to be a writer since late in high school.

Words are powerful and what writers can do has the power to inspire or destroy. I hope what I do always can inspire.

Also the words of writers can live on long after the writer has passed on. You and I both know these as students of literature.

Thanks for your kind and inspiring words at this time which is a transitioning part of my life. Yes, I recommend you visit their sites.