Above is a video clip called Cleopatra Portrayed On Stage and Screen 1890-2005. You might be surprised and baffled by who has portrayed her.
People the world over know of the last pharaoh of Egypt, Cleopatra VII (69-30 BC) who was the mistress and later wife of the two great Roman powerhouses of their epoch Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. In mainstream history she is usually seen as a Hellenistic or ruler of Greek origin of Egypt. Her great, great, great, grandfather was one of Alexander the Great’s generals named Ptolemy. Ptolemy happens to be one of my longtime favorite names, but I found a list of horrific baby names online last week, and Ptolemy was one of them because the author of the list says it is impossible to pronounce. Ptolemy was a native of Macedon (Greek Macedonia) like his friend Alexander. Ptolemy is pronounced (ta-la-May), which is not so difficult. The “p” is silent. When Ptolemy established his dynasty in Egypt, later Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt are said to have taken up the practice of the native Egyptian rulers by marrying their siblings. The Ptolemies evolved into Egyptians to gain the trust of their populace. They dressed, lived, and worshipped like the Egyptians. Since it is not known whom the original Ptolemy and others of his lineage may have married, it is highly possible that Cleopatra was not 100% Greek as some scholars stress.
The dispute about what “race” Cleopatra belonged to raged for a number of years in the black community here in the US. Some Africans-Americans were very vocal against Hollywood’s repeated depiction of Cleopatra as a white woman. The debate raged especially throughout the 1970s and 80s during the period when the concepts of Black Nationalism and Afrocentricism were en vogue. The desire to prove that black people had made great contributions to history even before millions were shipped to the states as slaves receded into the distance once hip hop culture took predominance.
Scholar, author, journalist, and historian Joel Augustus Rogers or J.A. Rogers, as usually listed on his books, was a huge promoter of Afrocentric scholarship. In his book World’ Great Men of Color, Volume 1 he wrote,
“Until the rise of the doctrine of white superiority Cleopatra was generally pictured as colored. Shakespeare in the opening lines of his Antony and Cleopatra calls her “tawny.”
In this book’s biographical sketch of Cleopatra, Rogers writes about the surprise introductory meeting between Caesar and Cleopatra when Rome’s strongman
“gasped as the silken covering stirred and a laughing brown-skinned girl with crinkly hair and voluptuous figure, nude to the waist, stood before him.”
So was Cleopatra black or brown with Semitic features like some east and north Africans, or a lighter Semite like many Arabs, or Mediterranean looking?
Some books and documentaries in the last decade or so have questioned was she as beautiful as Liz Taylor’s version. Writers have claimed that Caesar and Antony were both more captivated by her inner spirit and intellect than her outer beauty. A. J. Rogers writes,
“She on her side, if not the most beautiful woman of her time, was perhaps the most captivating, the most learned, and the most witty. It is said that she spoke Greek, Egyptian, Latin, Ethiopian, Hebrew, Arabic, and Syrian fluently, as well as several African dialects.”
The Greek historian Plutarch wrote this about Cleopatra,
"There was a sweetness, also in the tones of her voice and her tongue, like an instrument of many strings, she could easily turn into whatever language she pleaded. She talked to her many subjects in all their languages, not needing an interpreter."
Here she is on a coin and her likeness as bust.


Though I love Elizabeth Taylor in the role, my ideal Cleopatra, at least in appearance, is Chilean actress Leonor Varela who played the last pharaoh of Egypt in the 1999 film Cleopatra with Timothy Dalton as Caesar and Billy Zane as Mark Antony. The film was based on Margaret George’s novel the Memoirs of Cleopatra which I had read shortly before the movie premiered on television.
This clip features scenes from the movie with Varela.
Here is my favorite scene from the 1963 film version of Cleopatra's life.
What color do I think Cleopatra was? I am unsure about the matter, and I do not present myself as an expert because I am not. All I will say is that once I asked an Ethiopian friend what color she thought Cleopatra might have been after the 1999 version of the queen’s life had been aired on television. My friend gave me the Sphinx-like answer, “She was African.”
5 comments:
That is such an interesting question. Cleopatra may have been coloured, but I never gave it much thought.
Why is it that we think that Hollywood make honest movies? Hollywood make movies that will sell at the Box Office. And Elizabeth Taylor could pull such an audience.
That clip was a great scene.
Ardent,
As you probably know the Queen of Sheba got the same treatment. She was depicted as white. But in last 15 years or so black actresses Halle Berry and Vivica A. Fox have played her in movie roles.
Also a African-American woman and a Jewish woman collaborated on a very good children's book about King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. The Queen of Sheba is shown as black. I showed the book to my Ethiopian friend, and she just loved it and was very proud of it. She had me order a copy of it for sons to read too because she was concerned they might forget their heritage here in America like she said so many of her friend's children were.
This is an old thread, but I just came across this and I wanted to respond. I have studied cultural anthropology and history in detail. I recently completed my master's thesis which delved into ancient Egyptian culture. I have read many accounts of Cleopatra over the years, and there are multiple theories as to her genetic origins. At the very least, we know she was at best only part Egyptian as her direct lineage includes Greek genetics. Having said that, no matter what her linage, Egyptians are not "black" (and if you would care to argue that point just start speaking with a native Egyptian and see how offended they get when you offer this idea to them. As someone of partial Egyptian heritage I can attest to seeing this personally). Egyptians are genetically closer to Sephardic or Bedouin nationalities, and therefore it would be highly unrealistic to have an actress of black-African heritage portray her. It would also really be a subject for Egyptians to take issue with and not an issue for "African Nationalists" or "Afro centrists" to lay any claim over.
I don't doubt that there is a good chance Cleopatra had some Egyptian blood, but she would still be of mixed heritage exhibiting traits of mixed nationality. Her being referred to as "tawny" or brown-skinned does not indicate to me that she was "black". I am (ironically in this case) of both Egyptian and Greek heritage, and I can attest to members of my Greek family being darker skinned than members of my Egyptian family. Egyptians do tend to have textured hair, but it is not the same texture as those of black-African lineage. Keep in mind as well that Ancient Egyptian royals all wore wigs, so it is hard to tell exactly what was responsible for her "crinkly" hair. Curled hair was also favored by the ancient Greeks and Romans as well. All of this is coming from second hand accounts as we have no photographs from that era, but artwork and sculpturature indicates that Ancient Egyptians were much lighter skinned than black-Africans, with far more elongated and angular features. This is not intended to sound ethnocentric, just honest.
I agree with Ardent when she says that we shouldn't be looking to Hollywood for realistic portrayals of historical figures. It is regularly suggested that Cleopatra was not a physically attractive woman, yet she is always portrayed as beautiful. I am not offended by her portrayal by actresses not of Egyptian lineage. I would argue that having a Chilean actress portray Cleopatra is no better than an Anglo actress simply because she is dark skinned. It would be nice to see someone of Egyptian heritage play her, or even someone of Egyptian-Greek heritage (I'm available, j/k).
I agree with Anonymous -- Cleopatra was African, in the sense of black African, or Sub-Saharan Africa.
She was most probably of mixed Greek and Egyptian descent. Based on her few surviving images, I would say she probably had brown hair, styled in the Hellenistic manner, not Egyptian. She had large, brown eyes and wore make up like Roman /Greek ladies - not like an Egyptian. Except maybe for ceremonial occasions.
Her hooked nose, indicates Eastern Mediterrean features. Her skin was probably olive colored.
Excuse me -- Cleopatra was NOT African,
Post a Comment